They Came To Steal And Succeeded

crowinasion

The robin that was nesting under my carport disappeared from her nest day before yesterday. I have not seen her or any other robins in my yard since then.

crowinvasion2

Yesterday afternoon I found an empty house finch nest in the backyard. I have only seen one bird today in my yard…a bluejay.

I am quite sure these huge crows that I took pictures of last year are the thieves. They have been back this year staying in a tree in the neighbor’s yard making lots of noise. Last year I saw one of them steal the last baby robin from the nest, the other three had fledged.

Now the crows are gone so I am assuming they have stolen all the eggs and or babies from my yard. I know it is natural for them to do that but it still makes me very sad. I was looking forward to seeing all those baby birds.

14 thoughts on “They Came To Steal And Succeeded

1. lorriebowden 04/24/2017 / 7:58 pm

Awww…sorry Maggie. I understand…sometimes, even though we know it is the way things are…it can still be hard to take. Hope you are well my friend 💜

2. Tiny 04/19/2017 / 4:50 pm

I feel so sad too reading about these thieves…nature’s ways are not always to our liking. Sometimes I hope we could protect those baby birds, but that is beyond us.

3. Sarah Ferguson and Choppy 04/19/2017 / 10:09 am

Nature does seem cruel sometimes. At my old house, the sparrows were very nasty to each other – I saw them gang up and kill another sparrow one day outside my office. They seem so little and cute!

4. Arkansas Patti 04/19/2017 / 9:34 am

Sometimes it is hard to understand nature.

5. Madsnapper 04/19/2017 / 8:11 am

our cardinals are the first birds in our yard in a year, out predator was the hawk, he ate all the bird sand all the squirrels. for the first time ever we are squirrelsess

6. Tamago 04/19/2017 / 6:20 am

Oh that’s sad 😦 I hope robins will come back and nest, and hopefully they find safer spot.

7. DailyMusings 04/19/2017 / 5:11 am

So sad- I hope some will return and try again to build nests.

8. ianscyberspace 04/19/2017 / 1:36 am

Crows are very intelligent, and they know how to get what they want too. lol.

9. Brian 04/18/2017 / 7:11 pm

Oh how we hate it when something like that happens and it makes us all very sad too.

10. teelee2013 04/18/2017 / 3:24 pm

Aww shucks. Mother Nature can be so very cruel sometimes. So sorry, but I’m pretty sure you are correct in your assumptions.

11. marystreasurechest 04/18/2017 / 3:19 pm

Oh how very sad. To the wildlife its natural, but for us it seems so cruel. Hope the Robins come back to nest again and be safe.

12. chardixon47 04/18/2017 / 2:56 pm

So sorry, Sis. Crows are bold, brash, and sneaky thieves. I realize this is Mother Nature’s way of population control, but it still breaks my heart 😦 The birds have been very active around here. Hawks are always circling for a meal. There is an owl that visits and hoots right outside my bedroom window. I watch them all, but get stressed when the predators come calling. I pray you will have another family of babies. Hugs and love ❤

13. martyb007 04/18/2017 / 2:14 pm

Aww thats too bad Maggie. Hopefully they will return for another nesting.

• Mags Pooh and Chancy 04/18/2017 / 2:24 pm

I am hoping that they will. If the crows stay away they probably will.

Comments are closed.